Search The Web

Custom Search

Monday 8 February 2010

What's In A Word?

I just caught a small part of a TV programme on the BBC. Seven Ages Of Britain
In it, that well respected broadcaster, David Dimbleby was talking about a crown once worn by a past British monarch.
Talking about the crown, he said something along the lines of, "This crown is an object of indescribable beauty".
So, what did he do next? Yes, he went on to describe the crown in detail.

Now, if such an experienced broadcaster as David Dimbleby falls into this trap, what hope is there for the rest of us?
This is just one of those misuses of words that you seem to hear all of the time these days. They probably go unnoticed by most people. But, sometimes, like this example, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm not for one moment, pretending that i'm not guilty of some of these misuses myself. I can hardly claim to be an expert on the English language either. But, i'm sure these examples are becoming more frequent.

Another word, very often misused, is "literally". How often do you hear somebody say something like, "i was literally scared out of my skin"? Oh, really?...

These are just two examples that spring to mind. But, i know there are plenty of others.

Can you think of any?

My brain is literally exploding thinking about all of this!

2 comments:

  1. I'm literally nodding my head in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally laughed my head off reading your comment.

    ReplyDelete